Your company’s success is measured based on your revenue and the stability of your business model, but having a satisfied team that feels appreciated and motivated should be one of your company goals as well. Being on the market for several years now, we’ve learned how to create a great team that simply enjoys being part of our journey – to build remarkable products together!
Let’s take a look at the 8 golden rules, from our experience, in creating a positive and professional work culture.
1. Communicate! This is the foundation of every human relation. Work on improving communication between employees and management (usually this is where the gap happens). Always make sure that each task and company announcement is described as detailed as possible to your team to avoid miscommunication. Discuss with your team on a daily basis for the ongoing projects. You can do this on daily meetings of 15 minutes every day before you start to work on your projects.
2. Learn to accept critics! As a company, you have to learn to accept and appreciate critics and comments from your team. It is crucial for employees to feel comfortable enough to provide their opinion on every subject about their work-space, company projects and goals.
3.Appreciate your employees! We are all aware that there is no success without a great team behind it. Show your team your gratitude for the time and focus they invested after successfully completing a project. Appreciate their time in the after-work hours, because their quality private life is equally important for their well being as much as the positive and professional working environment.
4. Share positivism in the office! Start every day with a smile on your face and a simple “Good morning, how are you doing”. Use the breaks during office hours to spend some time with your team, to share some recent news (and chit-chat😊), to drink a cup of coffee and just relax between the tasks.
5. Do not micro-manage! Give your team support, trust and freedom to lead the projects. As one great man once said “Technology is nothing. What’s important is that you have a faith in people, that they’re basically good and smart, and if you give them tools, they’ll do wonderful things with them.”
6. Do not criticize in public! Never criticize your employees in public, you’ll just embarrass them and bring fear and negative atmosphere among your team…Believe me, this is the number 1 thing you don’t want in the place where you spend most of your day.
7. Invest in your employees! Since we are a part of the most dynamic industry as of this moment, we need to always keep track of the newest trends and innovations. There are courses with very well-structured programs online and in the IT academies around you. Encourage your team to upgrade their knowledge by providing them access to these courses. Your team will be grateful and your company can stay on the top of every new technology release, and update of an existing one.
8. Have fun! No matter how much you’ve invested in organizing the work-space and providing the best conditions for your team, working in the IT industry can sometimes be stressful and once in a while, everyone needs a break. Finding the perfect balance between working hard and having fun is essential. Try to celebrate special occasions, organize theme parties, have after-work parties on Fridays after a great week. You can even arrange weekend trips once per year. Use them to strengthen the team spirit but be sure to include some fun and healthy activities as well – you can go on a bike tour, visit a nearby mountain, ride a horse or go to the beach…
Tip: Organizing a strong, successful and creative team is not an easy job – but once you’ve mastered that skill your company and your team will start to grow bigger day after day. Treat your employees with dignity and respect, nurture their creativity and establish great communication.